Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
I am Italian and lived in Chicago for 5 years so believe me when I say this is the best Italian Beef recipe I have come across. Throw it in the crockpot and forget about it until dinner. Don’t forget to dip your sandwich in the leftover broth and you must buy the softest hoagie buns you can find. I added some cheese on top just because why not make it more perfect. Enjoy!
Ingredients: (Adapted from allrecipes.com) I sub and changed things up a bit, which I think made a big difference in the beef.
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package of dry Italian-style salad dressing mix (some people use two packages for more flavor)
- 1 (5 pound) rump or chuck roast (chuck is less expensive but more fatty)
- Combine broth with salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix in a saucepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Place roast in slow cooker, and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours. On the last hour or so shred meat with a fork and put it back into the crockpot to cook for the remaining time and absorb all those wonderful juices. This makes a world of difference! Don’t forget to remove the bay leaf if using.
In Chicago people like to top their sandwich with sautéed mushrooms, red onion, sliced pepperoncini and/or sliced roasted red peppers. You can also top with any type of cheese you like. I really enjoy provolone or mozzarella. You can melt the cheese under the broiler.
**If you are in the Chicago land area I really love Portillos Italian Beef. And let’s be honest, I also love anything on their menu. Anyone try the chocolate cake and cheeseburger/fries? I'm done.